She did it.
I’m not going to try and keep it a secret, since I’m sure everyone already watched it on television. Miss New York, Nina Davuluri, won Miss America 2014.
- She is the second Miss New York to become Miss America, in a row.
- Mallory Hagan crowned her twice; as Miss New York and as Miss America
- She is the 6th Miss New York to become Miss America, ever.
- She is the second Miss Syracuse to become Miss America, ever.
- 30 years, exactly, after Vanessa Williams won.
- She is the first Miss America of Indian descent.
- She was the first contestant to perform Bollywood Fusion for her talent.
- It was the first time the Final Two were “ethnic”.
- Officially they were both Asian-American, as India is in southern Asia.
- Also both were 1st Generation Americans.
- She is the first former MAOT (Michigan) to become Miss America.
This also means that Miss New York…
- Has FOUR Miss New York titleholders in a single calendar year
- Had the first Jewish Miss America, first Black Miss America, and first Indian Miss America.
- Is the 3rd state to win twice consecutively (after Penn & Oklahoma)
Nina Davuluri, you are officially my favorite local holder, favorite Miss New York, and now Favorite Miss America. If I had missed this girl get crowned I would have never forgiven myself.